List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror's location menu
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-05-30 8:33:45

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 09:25:30AM +0200, Stefan Taferner wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Is it only me, or is there an obvious break in standards if the file
> menu is named "Location" ?
>
> Having the "Open new window" in the file menu too would
> be very practical too, as it is there in all other apps.

Ah ah... This is going to be fun ;-)

I organised the menus so that the first one could be File,
but then it was almost empty (only new, edit mimetypes and properties).
But that was very much file manager specific.
In fact, as Waldo pointed out and implemented, in konqueror as a generic
browser, the main object is not a file but a location.

So yes, konqueror doesn't have File as the first menu. Think about
it : it is a standard to have File, yes, but does that always make sense ?
In a game, the first item should be game (per the style guide) for
that same reason: it's the primary object of the application.

In konqueror, the primary object is: Location.

IMHO application designers should start to think about making
sensible decisions instead of blindly following a standard which
doesn't always apply.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org