List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: menu bar at top always? when?
From:       Torsten Rahn <supas121 () astrophysik ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       2000-05-30 7:41:39

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Peter Putzer wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2000, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> > Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> > > speaking of default values... anyone objecting if I change the
> > > default bold font for menus to non-bold?
> > I originally set it to bold as it looks much *MUCH* better that way...
> > but it appears that this is not true on all systems as there seems to
> > be quite a few complaints.  I guess I can understand that, too, since
> > I've noticed that 10 pt Bold Helvetica looks good with XFree86 3.3.6
> > but looks *terrible* with XFree86 4.0.

The reason why quite a lot of people think it's ugly is the
much higher black pixel/"white" area-ratio.
The Fonts with normal weight were designed to provide the
best readability and a clean, decent appearance for
everyday-text. The fonts with bold weight were designed
to emphasize particular single words in a paragraph.
So once the author overdoes it and uses bold fonts for
whole paragraphs or even whole articles the reader
will think that the text looks rather ugly than important.

For the menubar the bold weight only covers a few words
and the bold weight for menubartext seems therefore an
acceptable choice to me.
BUT: The bold weight looks horrible for the k-menu though.
It seems equivalent ugly to me as a whole page written
using bold weighted fonts.

Tackat