List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kmapnotify, LD_PRELOAD, (t)csh and aaarrgh! I'll die today! :-)
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-05-29 0:43:05

#if Cristian Tibirna
> I tried to find some more info about prepending libraries in portable
> ways, I also tried to understand why Rik needs to use this kind of
> mechanism instead of some in-KShellProcess wrapper or whatever but I'm
> obviously not lucid enough these days.
>
> What's the scoop? Will I be forced to switch to bash after 7 years of Unix
> usage? :-)

No-one would suggest you should suffer that fate :)

Anyone know a portable way to set LD_PRELOAD, or a better solution ?

I am currently trying to use putenv(), but I think I'm going to hit a
race condition where it doesn't get picked up by the child of the shell,
because I have to unset it immediately after the KShellProcess is started.

putenv() is horrible, and it seems the Linux version has been through
various degrees of brokenness.

Is a wrapper binary really the only solution ? Is forcing use of /bin/sh
via a argument to KShellProcess viable ?

Sorry for the inconvenience Christian, hopefully I'll find a fix soon.

Rik - zsh user