List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Random thought: mac menu only for kdesktop
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-05-28 16:29:37

On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 01:55:06PM +0100, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> #if Wilco Greven
> >
> > Yes, why not add the K-menu somewhere in the menu. Probably some
> > people will use this menubar as a substitute for Kicker. Maybe also an
> > item to start the helpcenter should be added under Help.
>
> Yes, we used to have this in KDE 1 and it was a nifty way to avoid using
> kicker.

Oh, in KDE 1 it wasn't difficult not to use _kicker_ ;-)

> > The menu should be easy to access using the keyboard.
>
> Agreed. How to get to it ? ...
>
> > The question came up whether Kicker should be generating the K-menu and (not
> > yet) the Windowlist-menu. It's probably better to do this in KDesktop, since
> > it's (I guess) more likely that they will --not-- run Kicker than KDesktop.
>
> Well most of the K-menu is generated by KSycoca... it's only stuff like
> the 'quickbrowser' that's done by Kicker itself. What about the K-menu
> being created within kdelibs somewhere ? Then kdesktop, the mac menu,
> and kicker can all have one.

No need to put it in kdelibs then. libkonq can be used for those
kdebase only things. Ok, wrong naming then, but... ;-)
Hmm, kicker used to link to it but it doesn't anymore.
Or some common lib between kdesktop and kicker ?
I just think it's a bit too advanced for kdelibs.

> I think the window list menu should be created by kwin, but what if you're
> not running kwin... Should it be available via class KWin and available
> whatever window manager you're using ?
No idea about this.

http://home.clara.net/faure/