List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Status of kdenetwork module
From:       Matthias Kalle Dalheimer <kalle () dalheimer ! de>
Date:       2000-05-17 10:58:47

Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Wed, 17 May 2000, Matthias Kalle Dalheimer wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > A number of people now told me that kvirc might be a better alternative.
> > What do you think about that? Any other suggestions?
>
> yes, kvirc is pretty feature-rich and stable - the problem is that the
> author doesn't want to develop it in kde's CVS. He wants to keep control
> over it. Now we could still ship it with KDE2; I'm sure he would agree
> with that.
>
> I for one don't like kvirc because it is so big, it's using MDI and I
> find all those fancy buttons rather disturbing (that's why I mentioned
> the unobtrusiveness of ksirc).
>
> >From a codebase point of view, I'm sure kvirc is in a better shape, so we
> might ship kvirc with KDE2 and keep ksirc maybe in kdenonbeta as
> standalone application.

This won't work. An application that is shipped with the KDE base
distribution must be in the KDE CVS - imagine it turns out two weeks
before the release that we absolutely need to change an API and then
cannot update a core application.

> > On second thought, if Carsten wants to handle freshing ksirc up, why not
> > keep it - people are probably used to using it already, and those that
> > have other preferences can always download other irc clients.
>
> Either way is fine for me.

Then let's stay with ksirc, I'd say. People can always kvirc if they
want.

> > Carsten, mind if I put you on the list as the new maintainer (after
> > asking Andrew first, of course)?

I wrote to him this morning...

Kalle

--
Kalle Dalheimer     Contract programming for Unix
kalle@dalheimer.de  Technical writing

Lukashenko and the Pope - the last remaining dictators in Europe.