List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Status of kdenetwork module
From:       tibirna () kde ! org
Date:       2000-05-17 11:48:27

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Matthias Kalle Dalheimer wrote:

> A number of people now told me that kvirc might be a better alternative.
> What do you think about that? Any other suggestions?

Kvirc needs  some work before becomes correctly KDE compliant. I mean,
it's a Qt app, with some fair KDE enhancements *if* --with-kde was chosen
at compilation. Still, it doesn't obey most of the KDE system organization
mechanisms and rules: menu items, icons, config saving, session management
etc.

> On second thought, if Carsten wants to handle freshing ksirc up, why not
> keep it - people are probably used to using it already, and those that
> have other preferences can always download other irc clients.
>
> Carsten, mind if I put you on the list as the new maintainer (after
> asking Andrew first, of course)?

I believe it's quite obvious that the problem is much more structural. I
believe we don't need a revamping of the packages, but a completely new
package structure. kdesupport, kdelibs, kdebase (and perhaps koffice) are
well as they are. Kdebase needs a bit of cleaning, perhaps, but it would
be tiny. All the other packages should be restructured in a way that

1) would gently host the valuable apps from ftp.kde.org that never did it
in the "official packages
2) would allow people/distros/installers to freely choose between many
alternatives
3) would allow to optimize the download sizes

But I agree, this is a lot of (not so rewarding) work

Cristian Tibirna     : ctibirna@total.net     : www.total.net/~ctibirna
PhD Student          : ctibirna@gch.ulaval.ca : web.gch.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna
KDE contact - Canada :  tibirna@kde.org       : www.kde.org