List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Beta Release Schedule v2
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-05-06 5:51:24

On Thu, 4 May 2000 12:36:25 -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:

>KDE 1.92 "Korner"
>-----------------
>Hard Freeze : July 11, 2000 (Tuesday)
>Release Date: July 12, 2000 (Wednesday)
>Thaw Date   : July 13, 2000 (Thursday)
>Packages: All KDE packages
>
>The text for all packages are now totally frozen.  All translations
>should be completed soon after this.

This is the only reference to translations I can find. I don't find any
reference to documentation or documentation translation at all. And I
have not been able to get anything else in private mails to the beta
coordinators.

After the original release plan, we were supposed to have translations
of libs and base ready until April 30. Between 15 and 20 translation
teams met that deadline and a few others announced they would be ready
until the 1.90 freeze. Now there's absolutely no mention of
translations in any of the release plans (except the above for July)
nor does the kde-i18n module show up in the lists of package
maintainers. No announcements are posted to the translators and
documenters list at kde-i18n-doc@kde.org (except I forward them) and
people there get REALLY frustrated now. They are afraid things will
just stay the same as before when huge amounts of translation work were
not distributed with KDE, including _all_ the documentation
translations.

May I remind everyone that we now have more than fourty translation
teams and dozens of documenters (see http://i18n.kde.org/teams/) and
that having all those languages is one of THE advantages of KDE
compared compared to what any commercial company could afford? I would
strongly suggest to get those people out of their stepchild position
now.

The very least what we would like to know:

*   Will translations and documentation be released along with 1.90 and
the following betas?

*   What is the minimal percentage we should set for a translation team
to qualify for the beta?

Regards,

Thomas

---