List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Why aren't we using CORBA anymore ?
From:       Simon Hausmann <shaus () helios ! Med ! Uni-Magdeburg ! DE>
Date:       2000-05-02 8:04:22

On Tue, 2 May 2000, David Faure wrote:

> Ooops, yes, not paint events. But anything related to menu items and
> toolbar icons had to go through CORBA, hence the awful slowness and flickery
> when switching the active part (i.e. rebuilding the menus and toolbars).
> Even now... that's where you can see a lot of stuff moving around :-)

Yes, I think this is something we can still optimize.

It seems building the menubar is ok, meaning this is something invisible
(you don't see the items appear)

However the toolbar creation looks ugly ;-) (it seems ktoolbar calls
show() for each inserted button, even if updates are disabled (see
KToolBar::insertButton ) .

Perhaps we can add a check like

KToolBar::insertButton()
{
  if ( d->m_position != flat && parent->isUpdatesEnabled() )
    item->show();
}

But I'm not really sure if that works..

Perhaps another fix would be to hide the toolbar after creation, insert
the actions and then call show() (this sounds like something we could do
in the kxmlguifactory) .

What do you think?

Ciao,
 Simon