List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Tear-off handles for KPopupMenu
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2000-04-30 19:43:22

Am Don, 27 Apr 2000 schrieb Matthias Elter:
> Hi
>
> I have patched KPopupMenu to insert a tear-off menu in all non-toplevel menus. \
> Similar to single/double click this is of course a KGlobalSetting.
> A tear-off handle is a special menu item, that - when selected - creates a copy of \
> the menu. This "torn off" copy lives in a separate window. It contains the same \
> choices as the original menu, with the exception of the tear-off handle.
> Problem: Only a few kdebase apps are using KPopupMenu instead of QPopupMenu right \
> now. This should be changed for consistency reasons.
> Especially the XML GUI stuff should be fixed to use KPopupMenu.

Action based code could make use of tear-off menus, sure. But don't make this
an option for all applications. If a developer wrote an application without
torn-off menus in mind, he might have used code that creates a menu dynamically
on the fly, using aboutToShow().

The torn-off version of this menu might therefore offer illegal choices that
might crash the application.

Matthias