List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: While were making controversial suggestions... ;)
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-28 23:30:47

#if Kurt Granroth
> As a quick example, the mac menubar does a terrible job of being close
> to the cursor BUT does a phenomenal job of being big.  In fact,
> because it is anchored on the top of the screen, it has INFINITE
> height.

Hmm, I think I should add to that the point that because the mac menubar
has infinite height, the 'closeness' factor is irrelevant.

> But back to the the B II titlebar.   B II does a terrible job of
> Fitt's Law in *both* areas.  In the example I gave, the cursor will
> necessarily be on the right of the window to give it focus while the
> titlebar will be on the left making sure that the cursor isn't
> anywhere near the titlebar.  Furthermore, unless you have a very large
> title, the bar will be quite small, making it harder to select.
>
> A full toolbar fits both criteria by being larger and right under the
> cursor.

Actually, for a right-handed person (like me) having the titlebar
on the right side of the window is nice - I mean literally down
the right edge. I wrote an E theme for that :)

I think you're right that the titlebar should be full length.
I don't like twm's or BeOS's short titlebars (personal preference).

> That's not an option.  If we FORCE the user to choose one, then the
> initial startup would just be a pain in the ass for the majority of
> users.  If we don't force them, then *something* needs to be the
> default.

I'm coming around to thinking that a config wizard on initial install
is a good plan. What do you think ?

Rik