List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: Decision Making (was Re: PROPOSAL: "Mac" menubar as default)]
From:       Don Sanders <dsanders () cch ! com ! au>
Date:       2000-04-28 11:42:27

My mail bounced so I changed the headers so it would be accepted. (I have
requested don@sanders.org be added to the accept list).

I thought about what mosfet said, and I agree that technical decisions should
not be decided by voting.

For some stuff like default settings I would actually like to know what users
prefer and pretty much choose a setting which annoys the least number of
people. I'm really just talking numerical data here, sometimes I want to know
what people like rather than what they think.

At least that's normally the case, I guess in some instances you could argue
that the general population don't know what's best for them, maybe this Mac
menubar issue is one of those times. (And also single click?) Even so
information on people's preferences certainly wouldn't hurt.

There is still the problem that for some issues, everyone has an opinion,
people have different immutable opinions, and no one has more technical
expertise than every one else. In these cases unstructured discussions are
often unproductive. Unlike mosfet I think this does happen.

BFN,
Don.

(I hope Coolo doesnt' forward my previous reply sent 4 hours ago in which I
disagree with pretty much everything I just said)

[cut]