List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Kicker ideas
From:       "Wilco Greven" <j.w.greven () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       2000-04-20 11:50:01

Hello,

A couple of days ago I sent a message to kde-devel about moving applets in
kicker. I thought it was too jumpy. IMO the mousepointer shouldn't jump to
another position when two applets switch position. So I've made a change
in ItemArea::mouseMoveEvent such that moving the applets is more like in
kpanel.

While looking at how the appletpositions are stored I got the following idea.
At the moment the relative position of an applet with respect to the applet to
the right is stored. I think a better solution would be the following. The
space on the panel can be divided in space occupied by applets and empty space.
You could calculate the position of an applet if you know the percentage of
the empty space which is on the left/upper side of the applet.

It is shown in the following example. A, B, C,.... are applets, and a dash is
a unit of whitespace. There are 10 dashes, So one dash makes 10%.

A---B-C-----D-E

In that case the value for A would be 0, for B 30 and for C 40.

This approach has the following advantages:

- When you work with different screen resolutions, your panel would always
  look the same.
- Implementation of moving of applets would be easier. When you move an
  applet really fast over some other applet, the positions of the applets
  won't be switched.

Of course there will be disadvantages, but I can't think of one right now.

Greetings,
Wilco