List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Pixmaps not freed?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-04-06 8:38:10

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 10:45:30AM +0200, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> And I hoped that with the new Qt, the root-window/kapp->desktop() problem
> would be fixed, but e.g. minicli or the contextmenu of kdesktop still show
> up on weird places. Is it a KDE problem after all?

I don't think so.
I debugged a bit kdesktop and it really showed that the problem
was that QApp::desktop() changed size (apparently, any widget kdesktop
creates becomes the new desktop widget, which is obviously wrong :)).
I remember the same kind of bug happened in 1.1 and was fixed
(remember the screensavers that were smaller than the screen?), but
apparently it's back (well, it's not the same reason).
And Matthias E. said he would have a look. Matthias ? :)

We could hack around it, BTW. Storing the initial size of QApp::desktop()
at kdesktop's startup fixes minicli, the splash screen, etc.
Actually I think I did it for the splash screen, for now, but left
minicli so that we would remember there _is_ a bug in Qt ;-)

I didn't submit a bug report because ... didn't have time to write
a test program showing the problem, and I'm still counting on Matthias :)

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org