List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Ksycoca backwards compatibility & freeze
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       2000-04-04 16:35:15

On Mon, 03 Apr 2000, Stefan Taferner wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Apr 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Hiya,
> >
> > There will be a (small) problem by the time we get to KDE 3.0 (or any other
> > version which is binary incompatible with 2.0) and before that when people
> > upgrade KDE versions after 2.0 on a running system.
> >
> > The problem arises when two different versions of KDE are running which
> > require different versions of KSycoca. Currently the version of KSycoca on
> > disk must match exactly in version with the one supported by kdelibs.
>
> Wouldn't it be good to be able to have two different versions of KSycoca
> running?
>
> I mean: can you really garantee that future KSyscoca versions do not need
> a change in the data structure / protocol ?

I can't guarantee anything but I expect that future requirements can be adopted
by expanding the current data structures instead of changing them. If we really
run into problem we can always start to use another a database with a different
name, but having a single database would be a much more elegant solution.

Cheers,
Waldo