List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    kdebase/kwin/clients/REQUIREMENTS_FOR_CVS
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-03-30 22:32:04

Mosfet, this little aside to our conversation that you just committed
seems designed specifically to find all things about my client which
aren't exactly like your own and explicitly forbid them.

This kind of behaviour seems spiteful to me. You are for some reason
annoyed that I have committed a new kwin client.

> If you are looking to include a C++ KWin style client in CVS make sure you
> follow the following requirements:
>
> A) You must follow the current color scheme for all decorations. *No* fixed
> pixmaps are allowed for the clients. If you wish to draw your decorations
> use as few shades as possible, then use kpixmap2bitmap in kdegraphics
> to convert them into individual bitmaps. Once this is done you can
> draw the bitmaps using a colorgroup with kColorBitmaps.

Well following the colour scheme does not allow restricting the client
to a 40-colour palette.

I would have to write an algorithm that takes the current colour scheme
and interpolates between 'ButtonBg' and 'ButtonBlend and then do a
nearest-match in the 40-colour palette. This would be hideously ugly
and for no gain IMHO.

> If your client is just a set of pixmaps that doesn't follow any of the options
> I suggest you make a KWM theme so the user gets those options to
> configure the pixmaps and look. Making a plain pixmapped dedicated style
> makes no sense since it is less configurable than KWM themes and cannot follow
> client plugin options.

As I have clarified, this is no use as extra functionality is added
by my client, plus functionality provided by the base class is
overridden, to change the default behaviour. This, I believe is
the whole point of the kwin design.

> B) You must follow at least the color settings in the Options class.

I'm not going to follow 'ButtonFg' because my button symbols are
not simple bitmaps. They are antialiased, using the 40-colour palette.

Your comments on kde-cvs strike me as related to last week's argument
with Torsten Rahn, where you basically forbade him from having any
say in what the default theme for KDE is, despite the fact that to
other KDE people, his views are respected w.r.t artwork and look issues.

In this case, I'm not even looking to alter your own work, simply
add my own alongside it, yet I feel that you are trying to force
me to remove it, for reasons I cannot quite fathom.

It is annoying to have your design and code criticised when all you're
trying to do is to improve KDE. If I was actually doing something wrong
then I would understand, but this is getting beyond a joke.

I would like to know if anyone else in the core team has an opinion.

I am quite willing to remove my code if it is deemed unsuitable, but
I feel like I have just hit a barrier that says 'mosfet's. Don't come near.'

Rik