List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KIO progress info signals
From:       "Matt Koss" <koss () miesto ! sk>
Date:       2000-03-30 6:56:42

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Faure" <david@mandrakesoft.com>
To: <kde-core-devel@kde.org>
Cc: "Matej Koss" <koss@miesto.sk>
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2000 1:50 AM
Subject: KIO progress info signals

> Hi (Matt)
>
> Why are the signals all defined in the base class (Job) ?
> I don't get the point. copyingFile() means nothing in, say, TransferJob
> or DeleteJob, etc.
>
> This looks like the "old design" to me - why not go for the new
> one and do job-specific stuff in the job-specific class ?
>
> Just wondering...

The signals are in Job, so that progress stuff don't need to take specific
action according to the type of job, but simply work with a KIO::Job class.
Otherwise we would need to discern whether it is a CopyJob, DeleteJob etc...
and according to the job connect only to its specific signals.

I thought that this is a quite good solution and jobs will only emit those
signals which they need.
On the other hand, the progress stuff can simply connect to all signals
 some of them just won't come from some jobs ).

If you have some other ideas, please speak up.
If you think that progress stuff should discern between various Job types,
we can do that too.

I hope that this weekend I'll be able to finish and test the progress at
kioslavetest and caitoo, so that at least the first-type progress works.
Then comes a GUI progress server, but it can be done later as it doesn't
affect API.

Let's first finish API so that libs can be freezed.

            Regards

                                Matt