List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kpanelapplet.h
From:       m_elter () t-online ! de (Matthias Elter)
Date:       2000-03-29 16:45:05

Graham TerMarsch wrote:

> Matthias Elter wrote:
> > Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> > > The only benefit I see are the heightForWidth() and widthForHeight() functions.
> > > What's the purpose of KPanelApplet? Or better: what's wrong with KApplet that
> > > can't be fixed?
> >
> > Simplified API plus a KApplet never knows what size it actually will be
> > granted, a KPanelApplet does.
>
> Brings up the question, though, as to what happens if a KPanelApplet wants
> to resize itself?  For example, I've got a themed clock applet that I've
> been working on here and the biggest issue that I have at the moment is
> that as a KApplet it can't resize itself and have the new size recognized
> by Kicker.  Doesn't happen often, but each time a new theme is selected the
> size of the clock changes.  Does KPanelApplet address this issue as well?

A quote from kpanelapplet.h:

<snip>
  /**
   * Notify the panel about a new applet layout.
   *
   * Call this to make the panel relayout all applets, when
   * you want to change your width (horizontal panel) or
   * height (vertical panel).
   *
   * The panel is going to relayout all applets based on their
   * widthForHeight(int height) (horizontal panel) or
   * heightForWidth(int width) (vertical panel).
   *
   * Please note that the panel may change the applets location
   * if the new widthForHeight(int height) (horizontal panel) or
   * heightForWidth(int width) (vertical panel) does not fit into the
   * current panel layout.
   **/
  void updateLayout();
</snip>