List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Things that bother me ...
From:       Sven Radej <sven () lisa ! exp ! univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       2000-03-16 10:13:45

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Geert Jansen wrote:
>Cristian Tibirna wrote:
>
>> arts:
>>  - takes 16% of my processor and does absolutely nothing (doesn't play,
>>    doesn't issue errors, nothing)
>
>It's mixing 0 streams :-) It would be nice if Stefan could idle artsd when
>there are no connections. And give up the sound device would be nice too!

Itīs not that bad - playing two mpgs (Ouch! Chaotic!) through mpg123 | artscat
gives each mpg123 ~ 9.5%, artsd ~ 12% (and each artscat ~ 1%)

But, the sound is not clear - there are cracks and short stops (machine was
not overloaded). Silent artsd takes 3.2% (an average of 13 counts).
I have AMD K6, 336MHz.

 --
Sven Radej      radej@kde.org
KDE developer   Visit http://www.kde.org