List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: default toolbar icon size
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-03-16 2:15:50

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> This gives us a spacing of 3 pixels around the pixmap.  Note that this
> size is determined by the size of the icon.. NOT the app or the
> current theme!  So a 16x16 icon will be in a 22x22 button; a 22x22
> icon will be in a 28x28 button.. etc
>
> HOWEVER, if the toolbar is a "mainToolBar" (or has the 'honor' flag
> set), then the size of all of the buttons will be the size of the
> largest button.  So if kedit has one button with a larger icon, then
> all of the buttons will be that size.
Have you looked at a KOffice app? There are several different icon sizes
and thus differently large buttons within a toolbar and differently high
toolbars within a row.
That looks, eerhm ... really odd.

IMHO itīs the wrong way to determine the size of the buttons and
toolbars by the size of the icons. You canīt rely on all icons having
the same size e.g. 22x22, even if they should. There will always be
icons that are a bit smaller or larger. Or maybe they are simply not
available in medium size, but only in small size.
The buttons within the same toolbar should _always_ have the same
height. Too large icons will be clipped, too small icons will be
extended to whatever the currently set iconssize is.
I mean, what is the point in allowing differently size icons within a
bar, at all? It looks just ugly.
All toolbars should have the same height, at least those that are within
the same row.

Or, did I perhaps miss something here?

Just my 0.02 Euro

Michael

--
Michael Reiher
     Student at Dresden University of Technology

"Beware the woods at night, beware the lunar light!"