List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KDE 1.90 release plan looking towards KDE 2.0
From:       pbrown () redhat ! com
Date:       2000-03-13 19:00:52

The following has been taken from:

http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-2.0-release-plan.html

Please refer there in the future for up-to-the-minute information.

KDE 2.0 Release Plan
--------------------

The following is the outline for our KDE 2.0 release schedule. All dates
are subject to revision, but we will try out best to stick to them if
possible.

Kurt Granroth and Preston Brown are acting as release coordinators for KDE
2.0.

1.KDELIBS FROZEN

Kdelibs must be frozen to the point that they will not become binary
incompatible again for a long time, at least a year or more. However, we
do not want to preclude the possibility of making important fixes and
additions after the release. For this possibility to exist, we must add
private member pointers to each class, and clean out any cruft that still
remains. We will try and get a "progress chart" of each class onto the web
so that we can track our progress.

2.DOCUMENTATION COMPLETE

All KDE classes included in the libraries must be documented. If a class
isn't documented, it shouldn't be included in the final release of the
libraries. This probably isn't an option, so that means that some classes
will need to have documentation written.

Applications included in kdebase should have basic documentation included
that is accurate and up-to-date with any changes that have occurred for
that application since KDE 1.x.

Translations should be complete for at least German, French, possibly
Spanish, and hopefully many others.

3.KDEBASE COMPLETE

Everything included in kdebase must be complete. When we say complete, we
don't necessarily mean all functionality is implemented, but if the
functionality is indicated to be present, it must work. It must not
segfault. It must not say "not implemented." If there is some chunk of
code or stub sitting around for future functionality that will not have
time to get completed, it should be
commented out or somehow hidden.

Users of KDE 2.0 will be expecting things to function perfectly. It is
better to have no functionality than broken functionality in a final
release. Broken functionality generates bug reports.

We will try to coordinate action items and deadlines in a consistent yet
time-aggressive manner. Here is are the two major points that need to be
complete before we can release our first beta, KDE 1.90:

Milestone Name		Completion Date	Percent Complete	Coordinator
kdelibs frozen		March 30	80%			Kurt Granroth
documentation complete	April 15	70%			??? (volunteer)
kdebase frozen		April 21	60%			??? (volunteer)
translations complete	April 30	?? 			??? (volunteer)

This timeline is very aggressive, but necessarily so. We need to get KDE
2.0 stable and available to develop applications with, as many third party
developers are starting to depend on Qt and KDE 2.0 functionality. KDE 2.0
has been in development for over a year at this point. It is time.

                        Frequently Asked Questions

This section will contain frequently asked questions and their answers. It
will be updated as necessary as time goes by.

1.Can I make changes to the libraries after they are frozen?

That depends. The cardinal rule to follow here is that your change must be
binary compatible. Click here for a description on what that means and
ways around it.

In simple terms, though, it means that applications should not have to be
recompiled after you make your changes.

2.What types of changes can I make after the freeze of each component?

Almost all changes after the freeze should be bug fixes or completion of
existing features. If you have a really cool feature you want to add,
please contact the kde-core-devel list first. Bear in mind that unless the
feature is really "can't-do-without", you will probably have to wait until
a later release.

3.How solid are the dates given?

Hopefully fairly solid. We won't release anything that isn't ready so if
things slip, then the schedule slips. But we really are going to try and
meet all of those deadlines.

4.When will KDE 2.0 be released?

Short answer: "When it's done".

Longer answer: Right now, we're concentrating on getting the first beta
out. The release schedule for 2.0 really depends on what shape the beta is
in. If it needs some serious work still, then we'll likely do a few more
betas. If it's rock solid, then 2.0 will come out very quickly after.

Really, the more people that contribute bug reports and especially FIXES,
the faster 2.0 will be released.

Thanks for your attention, now please get back to work.

---
  Preston Brown
  pbrown@kde.org