List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KOffice loading and saving progress info
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () cramersystems ! com>
Date:       2000-03-08 10:41:50

Hi there,

I spend some time yesterday trying to make the window
for KOffice apps appear as soon as possible, so that you see
something while it's loading the initial document.
This approach turned out to be wrong, since the design is
currently very much document-oriented: you can't create views on
empty documents (I mean - really empty, like NO tables in kspread,
or NO initial paragraph in KWord). You need a basic document
before you can do anything with it, which makes sense.

So... I decided to drop the idea and to do it differently.

My idea (well, credits go to 'dep' for the suggestion) would be
a progress bar that appears in a separate window while the loading happens,
(a bit like kfm's or old-konqueror's popup window during file transfer).

During saving, the progress bar could be in the statusbar...

I was wondering how to do this. Should I copy simpleprogressdlg
over to kofficecore and adapt it for this special purpose ?
(And for saving, do the same with littleprogressdlg - I think it is,
or use a plain KProgress)

Or ... should we keep those in KIO, and open them so that they
can display progress info for anything, i.e. even for something else
than KIO jobs ?
Since they aren't used for KIO jobs yet (hopefully Matt's working on this),
I'm really not sure what to do here.

OTOH, progress info while loading/saving is a bit different (doesn't
make sense to print the kb/s and the estimated remaining time ;-),
so simply putting that in kofficecore perhaps makes more sense.

Looking for suggestions.

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer