List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: conceptual changes to toolbars
From:       Sven Radej <sven () lisa ! exp ! univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       2000-03-05 13:55:45

On Sun, 05 Mar 2000, Uwe Thiem wrote:
>On Sat, 4 Mar 2000, Kurt Granroth wrote:
(...)
>> > I meant the approach of letting the user edit his toolbars. I.e. remove
>> > all those he doesn't want and therefore keep the bars lean and clean.
>> > Dragging an item out of a toolbar on some trash-icon removes it, and
>> > dragging menuitem from the menu onto the toolbar would create it.
>>
>> Hmm.. well, that wouldn't be hard to do programatically but tricky
>> conceptually.  How do we know when a user is just clicking the button
>> or clicking on the button to drag it to the trash (or move it)?  Don't
>> say a time delay because we already have buttons (delayed menus) that
>> depend on a time delay.  Maybe a CTRL-click?  Er.. that would be a
>> hidden feature for sure.. almost nobody would remember that.
>
>Isn't it the release of the mouse button that starts whatever the button
>is for? Pressing the mouse button and dragging would be fine then.

Some buttons or elements can be activated only by press: buttons with menus or
delayed menus, comboboxes...

I think that better way would be option "Edit toolbar" and all toolbar elements
would be in drag-mode. We could even provide a dialog with list of KActions
which (KActions, not dialog) could be dragged to/from toolbar.

 --
Sven Radej      radej@kde.org
KDE developer   Visit http://www.kde.org