List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: conceptual changes to toolbars
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! TU-Berlin ! DE>
Date:       2000-03-04 17:53:47

On Sat, Mar 04, 2000 at 10:12:45AM -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:

Hi,

> > Dragging an item out of a toolbar on some trash-icon removes it, and
> > dragging menuitem from the menu onto the toolbar would create it.
>
> Hmm.. well, that wouldn't be hard to do programatically but tricky
> conceptually.  How do we know when a user is just clicking the button
> or clicking on the button to drag it to the trash (or move it)?  Don't
> say a time delay because we already have buttons (delayed menus) that
> depend on a time delay.  Maybe a CTRL-click?  Er.. that would be a
> hidden feature for sure.. almost nobody would remember that.

for normal buttons, that's easy, no? Just clicking it means activating,
press + drag means dragging. The only problem is those delayed menus,
that's correct, because some people might keep the button pressed while
moving on to the desired item in the menu. Maybe assume activation, when
the menu is already shown, and assume dragging, when it's not shown yet?

The other possibility would be a little popupmenu with "remove" and maybe
"move" (so you can move a button to another toolbar).

Cheers,
Carsten Pfeiffer
--
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/1632/