List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RE: indicator in menubar
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-03-04 12:58:49

> If the icon is going to be that small, what about following
> Waldo's idea ? -> it's an indicator, it should be in the statusbar.

Well sure it is an indicator. So why didn't Netscape and Microsoft
put it into the statusbar?

Well the answer might be: marketing / PR

Most of the time the Netscape-symbol doesn't work as an indicator
but as an advertisement-banner. The message transported by this
little icon is: "You are using Netscape right now --
be proud of it :-)"

So of course they placed that "indicator" up
at the right top quite near tho the area where the user will look
most of the time (To search for menus, toolbar). It's meant to be
an eye-catcher and you don't place eyecatchers at the bottom
where nobody will see it.

To make the whole thing more consistent Netscape added a
rectangular "busy-cursor" that moves left and right in the
statusbar.

I think it would be a good idea to leave it in the menubar
for this reason. People should know that they are using Konqueror.

Torsten