List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Improved document handling (Was: Goal-orientation (files vs
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       2000-03-03 16:39:28

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Mar 2000, Dan Pilone wrote:
> > Previously written in blue crayon:
> >  > Another possibility would be to write a CVS-ioslave: this would
> >  > allow the user to load/store documents with complete revision
> >  > control using the standard file-dialog in all programs.
> >
> > 	I have been trying to come up with a way to do this (CVSing
> > any file) off and on for a while.  I was originally thinking of
> > adding a plugin to konquorer that would let you check files in or
> > out. Hmm.. can you give me some more hints on how the ioslave thing
> > would work?
>
> The idea is that such an io-slave offers an URL address-space like:
>
> docs:/folder/document
>
> slave->get() gives you the most up to date version of this document.
> slave->put() stores your changes. (Much like a cvs commit)
>
> Then you can add URLs like docs:/folder/document?rev=1.1 to ask for a
> specific revision of a document. And when you list e.g.
> docs:/folder/document/ you would get a listing of all revisions.

Doesn't it make more sense to implement this using RCS instead of CVS?

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
The stone age didn't end for a lack of stone" Firoz Rasul