List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    merge of khtml
From:       Lars Knoll <Lars.Knoll () mpi-hd ! mpg ! de>
Date:       2000-03-03 17:30:06

Hi,

I've just started the big merge of khtml's new_rendering branch back to
HEAD. Expect some apps using khtml to be broken for the next 24-48 hours.
Simon and I are going to try to fix these apps asap. If anybody else needs
help porting his app to the new code, please feel free to contact me.

The API of khtml has changed a bit, and will continue to change in the
next two days. I hope to be able to finalize the API in the next week
though.

The advantages of the new code include:

* Build in support for style sheets. Many features are still missing, but
you can already give http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/current/ a try to
see what's already working.
* khtml is now a full featured kpart.
* support for bidirectional text (hebrew and arabic)
* cleaner code, which is easier to maintain.

khtml's rendering abilities are still not up to the point of the old lib,
so lots of more complicated web pages may look broken now. It'll take
another one or two weeks to fix all these problems, but khtml is already
quite useable for most web pages.

Cheers,
Lars