List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: SMB !
From:       Nicolas Brodu <nicolas.brodu () free ! fr>
Date:       2000-02-29 12:26:21

David Faure wrote:

> I think that in a method returning a char *,
> if you do:
> return myQString.local8Bit().data()
> then there is something wrong (the QCString holding the
> local-8-bit version of the string is deleted right after
> the statement, but the char * is used long afterwards).
>
> Seen in smb.cc

Oops, OK. I assumed this didn't matter since the QStrings are
stored as private variables. Except maybe I should also store
the QCStrings.

> > Moreover, I cannot maintain the native code (no longer on a
> > LAN, don't use SMB
> > myself, do not have any Windows to test against, getting bored, etc.)
> > People just doing "configure, make, make install" will have
> > limited smb support while Samba-3.0 isn't out, which is better
> > than nothing.
> > And if anyone wants to spend time checking this, well, that's
> > fine by me :-)
>
> Hmmm ok...
> This means that most people will use the code that you don't maintain
> though. I think that at some point, replacing libsmb with samba-tng
> (in CVS) would be a good idea.

Do you realise that samba-tng is in fact Samba 3.0 cvs?
Maybe I should clarify this: libsmb++ can offer the same
high-level interface whether or not samba is present, but if
it is found, it is used. libsmb++ is an abstraction layer that
enable a C++ program to call methods named as the stdio
open(), read(),... on SMB URLs instead, without even bothering with the SMB
details. You could put samba-tng in addition to
libsmb++, but not in replacement (or you'll have to rewrite
this interface at some point anyway).
And even if it was OK to mirror Samba cvs in KDE cvs, there is
still the problem of concurrent Samba installations.

The way it is now sounds fine to me. When Samba-3.0 is out, the choice will be:
You have Samba => full support.
Don't have Samba => still have limited support.

Cheers,
Nicolas
--
A shortcut is the longest distance between two points. (unknown author)