List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: SMB !
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () cramersystems ! com>
Date:       2000-02-29 11:53:11

> David Faure wrote:
> > >
> > > Hmm, my guess is you're accessing a Windows in user security
> > > level.
> > I don't know. I'm accessing a standard W98 share.
> >
> > The memory corruption should be easy to find.
> > Do you store char * from QString or QCString, which can
> > be deleted at some point ?
>
> Not that I remember.

I think that in a method returning a char *,
if you do:
return myQString.local8Bit().data()
then there is something wrong (the QCString holding the
local-8-bit version of the string is deleted right after
the statement, but the char * is used long afterwards).

Seen in smb.cc

> > > I couldn't test this setting furthermore with any
> > > 'recent' Windows version for the native code.
> > > This only way to check it is to use Samba-tng as the SMB
> > > back-end, and see if the problem dissappears (otherwise it's
> > > in kio_smb itself and should be easy to correct).
> > > See ftp://samba.org/pub/samba/alpha.
> >
> > I might give it a go, but note that everybody will do
> > like I just did: configure,make,makeinstall.
> > You can't expect people to download yet another lib before compiling
> > KDE. Which code do you want to support in the future ?
>
> Definitely the Samba code. This will be Samba 3.0 in the
> future, and people doing SMB will want to install Samba 99% of
> the time.
> Moreover, I cannot maintain the native code (no longer on a
> LAN, don't use SMB
> myself, do not have any Windows to test against, getting bored, etc.)
> People just doing "configure, make, make install" will have
> limited smb support while Samba-3.0 isn't out, which is better
> than nothing.
> And if anyone wants to spend time checking this, well, that's
> fine by me :-)

Hmmm ok...
This means that most people will use the code that you don't maintain
though. I think that at some point, replacing libsmb with samba-tng
(in CVS) would be a good idea.

> > Another bug: often, only the first file or directory
> > appears. I have to press reload 5 to 8 times before
> > I get all the icons again.
>
> That's strange. It's been about 9 months since I last had this
> bug!
Nostalgy time ? :-)

David.