List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: SMB !
From:       Nicolas Brodu <nicolas.brodu () free ! fr>
Date:       2000-02-29 11:44:25

David Faure wrote:

> > Hmm, my guess is you're accessing a Windows in user security
> > level.
> I don't know. I'm accessing a standard W98 share.
>
> The memory corruption should be easy to find.
> Do you store char * from QString or QCString, which can
> be deleted at some point ?

Not that I remember.

> > I couldn't test this setting furthermore with any
> > 'recent' Windows version for the native code.
> > This only way to check it is to use Samba-tng as the SMB
> > back-end, and see if the problem dissappears (otherwise it's
> > in kio_smb itself and should be easy to correct).
> > See ftp://samba.org/pub/samba/alpha.
>
> I might give it a go, but note that everybody will do
> like I just did: configure,make,makeinstall.
> You can't expect people to download yet another lib before compiling
> KDE. Which code do you want to support in the future ?

Definitely the Samba code. This will be Samba 3.0 in the
future, and people doing SMB will want to install Samba 99% of
the time.
Moreover, I cannot maintain the native code (no longer on a LAN, don't use SMB
myself, do not have any Windows to test against, getting bored, etc.)
People just doing "configure, make, make install" will have
limited smb support while Samba-3.0 isn't out, which is better
than nothing.
And if anyone wants to spend time checking this, well, that's
fine by me :-)

> Another bug: often, only the first file or directory
> appears. I have to press reload 5 to 8 times before
> I get all the icons again.

That's strange. It's been about 9 months since I last had this
bug!

Cheers,
Nicolas
--
A shortcut is the longest distance between two points. (unknown author)