List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: SMB !
From:       Nicolas Brodu <nicolas.brodu () free ! fr>
Date:       2000-02-29 1:17:25

David Faure wrote:

> Wow !!! It works great !
>
> Gosh. First try, and it works really well.
> Very fast as well, but then again the Windows machine is just 20cm away :)

Happy this finaly comes out of vapourware stage!

The performances should be correct. The native code (which you
use, if I refer to you postings on kde-cvs) wasn't designed
for maximum speed, but gives decent enough results
on local LANs.

> Only bug: there seems to be a memory corruption on the user name;
> when going back so smb://host/ is asks for a password for a garbage user name.
> (I don't think it should even ask for a password there - it doesn't
> need one to go to smb://host/subdir/)

Hmm, my guess is you're accessing a Windows in user security
level. I couldn't test this setting furthermore with any 'recent' Windows
version for the native code.
This only way to check it is to use Samba-tng as the SMB
back-end, and see if the problem dissappears (otherwise it's
in kio_smb itself and should be easy to correct).
See ftp://samba.org/pub/samba/alpha.

> Other than that, well, I'm thoroughly impressed !!!
>
> Great job, Nicolas !

Thanks ;-)

Cheers,
Nicolas
--
A shortcut is the longest distance between two points. (unknown author)