List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: install script
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-02-28 19:17:14

Nicolas HADACEK wrote:

> hello
>
> I have some sort of request to make : all people with slow computer know
> the pain and waste of time it is to recompile stuff ... dependencies are
> ok to cut down the number of files to be recompile. The broken thing IMHO
> is that reinstalling kdelibs reinstalls all include files even when they
> are unmodified.
> This means that all files in other modules need to be recompile since
> header's modification dates have changed ...
>
> I have tried to find a solution and patched the "install-sh" script
> accordingly (see the diff at end of mail). My question are :
>  * is it brain-dead ?
I wouldn't use such harsh words - but test -nt is as portable as install
-p

>  * how the configure stuff can be modified to allow an option for
> "slow-computered developpers" and to avoid editing the configure script
> to make use of install-sh ?

install-sh is used only for machines that didn't install GNU fileutils
and those aren't most likely no developers. For the developers GNU
fileutils
shouldn't be a problem - and gives you install -p

Greetings, Stephan

--
It said Windows 95 or better, so in theory Linux should run it
                                                GeorgeH on /.