List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: kio_smb working! (But...)
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () cramersystems ! com>
Date:       2000-02-28 10:09:33

> On Son, 27 Feb 2000, David Faure wrote:
> > Ah, btw. kio_smb should go into
> > kdebase/kioslave/smb
> > Not into kdelibs/kio/smb. Only the very basic ioslaves go
> > there, i.e. the ones that are already there, file, ftp and http.
>
> I wouldn't consider smb to be less basic than ftp or http, IMHO.
> The most basic one is of course file:

I was afraid this kind of discussion would happen, with slaves
in two places.

I was about to answer that SMB has no meaning
to all those that are not connected to a network with Windows
machines, whereas FTP and HTTP are available everywhere,
but this is really not the point, in fact.
The question is once more about people that want to install
koffice without installing kdebase.
Should they be able to use koffice to edit files over SMB
transparently (as one would do under Windows), or should
they be required to install kdebase for this ?
I don't know.

But they have to install kdebase if they want something
to read koffice's help files anyway...

I guess it doesn't really matter in fact.