List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RE: konqy issues (22.02.2000)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-02-26 12:50:34

On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 05:41:42PM +0100, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> > > I think not longer than KRASH konqy, but longer than kfm, and
> > > ages longer than mc in xterm.
> > > AFAIK there is this kdeinit thingy, does konqy use it ? Would
> > > this make it faster ?
> >
> > Perhaps. Or does it impact only on memory usage ? Waldo ?
>
> It improves both startup time as well as memory usage.
>
> > This would mean ... making kfmclient use klauncher, in fact.
> > Seems a good idea.
>
> Yup.

How do I do that ?
Please document all the arguments in the startService* methods...

I want to start konqueror.
I can't use startServiceByName because it says "translated name of the service"
which I don't know - this seems a not very useful method.

Hmm, let's try with ByDesktopName and giving konqueror.desktop ...
Result : Could not find service 'konqueror.desktop'.
Hmmmm... Trying with "konqueror" - this should really be documented.
Gosh ! kcontrol gets launched ! There are two files named konqueror.desktop...

And if use the third one (startServiceByDesktopPath), it means
I rely on whereever that .desktop file is installed.
If the user moves it in the K menu, I'm lost.
There is really something wrong with startServiceByDesktopPath.
One should never rely on the layout of $KDEDIR/applnk...

Hmm, damn. I just want to fire up konqy ! ;-)

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org