List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: khtml
From:       Lars Knoll <Lars.Knoll () mpi-hd ! mpg ! de>
Date:       2000-02-19 9:06:27

Hi Frank,

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Frank Baumgart wrote:

> Hello, especially khtml developers,
>
> I would like to add:
>
> - keyboard traversal of links with
> - appropriate visual cursor representation

Great. I alsways wanted to add that, but haven't found any time to work on
it up to now. There are other issues in khtml, which are (for me) more
important to fix.

> to the khtml widget.
> <sync>Is anyone already working on this?</sync>

Go ahead. Nobody is working on that up to now. But as one remark: khtml in
the head branch of the CVS is dead. We are working now in the
new_rendering branch on a new layouting engine, which will have real style
sheet support. But we will hopefully merge this back into the main
(head) branch in the next 2 or 3 days.

> Could you please give me some advice on where to start this effort?
> There is already code to handle forms, might this be the right start?

For visual navigation of links, all you'll have to do is to add some code
to KHTMLWidget's (... aehmmm... in a few days it will be
KHTMLScrollView) keyboard handling code.

Basically, you can store an object representing the current link (a
DOM::NodeImpl) in the ScrollView, and each time you try to navigate with
the keyboard, you'll have to traverse the document tree (look for example
at HTMLDocumentImpl::getElementById() for how to do that).

To get the links marked visibly, one can probably just use text selection,
which Frederik and hier friends are implementing at the moment.

If you implement something, just send me a patch for the moment, and I'll
apply it to cvs.

On another point, if you're interested in helping out development of
khtml, we could need another person :-) The stuff you wanted to do is
quite nice to get a first idea of how the lib works.

> Is anyone interested in reports of rendering errors or backtraces of
> crashes yet? I would restrict that to correct (instead of real-life)
> html code until an alpha or beta release.

Sure, but wait another few weeks with it. As I said, the HEAD branch is
dead, and the new one still has too many rendering problems I know of
myself. Once it this rendering engine stabilizes a bit more, I'll be more
than happy to get reports about this.

Cheers,
Lars

PS: the mailing list for khtml/konqueror related stuff is usually
kfm-devel@kde.org, so if you're interested in khtml developing, you should
probably subscribe there.