List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: modeless KFileDialog
From:       Emily Ezust <yoamwmvs () umail ! corel ! com>
Date:       2000-02-09 22:43:39

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Feb 2000, Emily Ezust wrote:
> > Take KFD::getExistingDirectory(). Previously, if I clicked once
> > on a directory, it meant I was selecting it (unfortunately, this
> > is called fileHighlight!), and if I double-clicked, it meant I
> > was trying to go into the directory to find a different directory
> > to select.
> >
> > But now highlighting and moving is the same, so I have to move into
> > a directory to select it. I think this might be a bit confusing to
> > users. I liked the old behavior - it is more QFD-like, too...
> > What does everyone else think?
>
> Apart from Stephan/Reggie's fixes this seems to be a fundemental
> problem of "single-click mode".
>
> Then again, what's wrong with moving into a directory and then clicking
> 'OK'?

I'm OK with it because I'm a programmer, but a user might say "HEY!
I'm trying to select that darn thing, not move into it!" They might
even think they aren't allowed to select a directory...

And yet, it does suddenly introduce the double-click into the picture,
which is a bit annoying.

Should there be a "Go into" button? Yuck.

-Emily

--
Emily Ezust, emilye@corel.com
Corel Corporation