List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Usability and open source
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-01-29 14:34:08

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Magnus Ihse wrote:
> An article at http://sendmail.net/?feed=interviewkuniavsky spurred a
> lot of discussion at Slashdot,
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/01/28/116240&mode=thread. It
> might be interesting reading for the kde-look people...
>
> /Magnus

I have invited some of the more cluefull /. responders over to this
list.

The article is definitly interesting, also for developers. To be able
to improve the usability of KDE it is very important that we get
feedback from our end-users. KDE is quite usable but has very much room
for improvement.

I agree with the writer that Open Source might not work as good in this
area of development as in others. To be able to make a good user
interface you would like to be able to test various approaches out on
your end-users and use the results of these tests to improve the
software.

In an Open Source project like KDE, this happens by releasing the stuff
and hoping for bug-reports. The problems with this aproach is that
end-users are not very eager to send in bug-reports for usability
issues and that the feedback comes very late in the life-cycle.
Usability issues can have a large impact on the whole design of your
software so the earlier such things are worked out the better.

At the moment, in KDE, I see two developments which address this issue
somewhat:

1) All applications will have an option in the about-menu to send in
bug-reports, lowering the threshold for end-users to send in bugs.
2) After KDE2 we will hopefully be able to release more often so that
the feedback loop between developers and users can work at a faster
rate.

In addition, a better solution would be to have active usability
research within KDE. I think the kde-look list can play an important
role in this as well as KDE's commercial partners.

In this respect I am disappointed that Corel, while boosting about its
knowledge about UI, does do very little to share its knowledge with the
rest of KDE.

Cheers,
Waldo