List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: Access to tooltips and what's this]
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-01-27 1:04:30

Stephan Kulow wrote:

> Not on access list!
> --
> It said Windows 95 or better, so in theory Linux should run it
> GeorgeH on /.

> Subject: Re: Access to tooltips and what's this
> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 19:26:27 +0100
> From: Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih@cetus.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE>
> To: kde-core-devel@kde.org
> <20000125010615.A6773@nevermind.tu-berlin.de> \
> <388DCA56.583F70E5@ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk>
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 04:07:50PM +0000, Richard Moore wrote:
>
> Hiya,

> > > Hmm, you could query for all QLabels and compare your widget with
> > > QLabel::buddy()
> >
> > Yeah, I thought of that but it's very inefficient. For one thing you
> > don't know if there really is a buddy, so you will spend a lot of time
> > searching.
>
> Yes, but I don't think there is another way. It should be fast enough tho,
> comparing to speech synthesis ;) What about querying for all QLabels and
> building a QPtrDict which maps all widgets to their respective
> buddy-labels (if they have one)? Lookup is very fast, then.

This could work ok. I'd rather have a look at how much change would be
needed to make the Qt API work better here though - I can't see the
Troll's objecting as long as we can keep it binary compatible.

> > Yeah, I've been looking at a system called Festival which has an X11
> > type license and supports multiple languages. It supports a standard
> > XML based speech markup language called Sable which appears to have
> > a lot of support. It should in theory let us support things like 'rich
> > speech' by mapping QML tags to Sable tags.
>
> Ahh, this is getting really interesting. Another interesting direction is
> Bodytalk (that's what it was called, right?), I'd really like to know a
> little more about it.

What's this? Do you have a link?

> /me just imagines a little class that encapsulates all the speech
> synthesis stuff and offers a slot KSpeech::say( const QString& ) and
> hooking up ksirc to that :)

Nah, the API is KSpeechSynth::read(const QString & ), but apart from
that you're pretty close. ;-) (this is still theory though - it writes
SABLE to stdout).

Rich.

--
     Richard Moore		rich@ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk