List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    [Fwd: Access to tooltips and what's this]
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-01-26 18:40:02

Not on access list!
--
It said Windows 95 or better, so in theory Linux should run it
                                                GeorgeH on /.

From:   Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih@cetus.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE>
To:     kde-core-devel@kde.org
Subject: Re: Access to tooltips and what's this
Date:   Wed, 26 Jan 2000 19:26:27 +0100

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 04:07:50PM +0000, Richard Moore wrote:

Hiya,

> > > - Find the label that is a buddy of a widget
> >
> > Hmm, you could query for all QLabels and compare your widget with
> > QLabel::buddy()
>
> Yeah, I thought of that but it's very inefficient. For one thing you
> don't know if there really is a buddy, so you will spend a lot of time
> searching.

Yes, but I don't think there is another way. It should be fast enough tho,
comparing to speech synthesis ;) What about querying for all QLabels and
building a QPtrDict which maps all widgets to their respective
buddy-labels (if they have one)? Lookup is very fast, then.

> Yeah, I've been looking at a system called Festival which has an X11
> type license and supports multiple languages. It supports a standard
> XML based speech markup language called Sable which appears to have
> a lot of support. It should in theory let us support things like 'rich
> speech' by mapping QML tags to Sable tags.

Ahh, this is getting really interesting. Another interesting direction is
Bodytalk (that's what it was called, right?), I'd really like to know a
little more about it.

/me just imagines a little class that encapsulates all the speech
synthesis stuff and offers a slot KSpeech::say( const QString& ) and
hooking up ksirc to that :)

BTW, whoever hacked ksirc lately, I tried it yesterday, and it worked
pretty well - THANKS a bunch :)

Cheers,
Carsten Pfeiffer
--