List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Possible Feature.
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       2000-01-26 15:27:29

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Mosfet wrote:

> Roberto Alsina wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Mosfet wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, I guess, but I don't know it it would really be good in KDE if I
> > > understand correctly. The problems are first many apps have several
> > > toolbars by default and having only one docked I think would be
> > > confusing,
> >
> > Let's make some measurements :-)
> > Anything that can go into two rows of a average size window can go into a
> > side toolbar, according to my measuring tape (and my guessing of what a
> > average width window is ;-)
> >
> > If there are even more toolbars, they can be stacked at the side too. They
> > will still be easier to reach than if they are stacked into the window
> > (but I'm not 100% sure)
> >
> > > and second is that the Mac menu is on the left and the
> > > toolbar on the right. There would not be space for both on low-res
> > > displays for some large apps I believe - although I haven't checked.
> >
> > Of course in low resolution, the toolbars on the window leave you with a
> > poststamp-size working space, too :-)
> >
> > On the side, the toolbars could have a meaningful autohide mechanism,
> > much better than collapsing them in the window.
> >

> Are you talking about vertically aligned? I don't like that at all.

Hey, I have no strong opinions, I'm just thiking :-)
I suppose the user could arrange them in more or less the same way he
arranges them now, only the bars would be vertical by default.

Either attach the bars one below the other (continuing the strip) or
attach them one to the side of the other, forming a multi-column thing.

Some less important toolbars could even be collapsed into buttons at, say,
the lower right column, growing vertically.

> > > Another idea I saw mentioned on one of these lists I liked is a
> > > universal status window that contains status messages of all the apps.
> > > Could be useful for paying attention to what is going on in windows on
> > > other desktops. I don't think this should replace the application
> > > specific statusbar since you want to be able see the last message in a
> > > specific window, but would be a cool supplement, maybe implemented via
> > > dcop calls in KStatusBar.
> >
> > I am not so sure about this. After all, what is it going to show?
> > If it will show the state of the current window, you can see it on, well,
> > the current window :-)
> >

> No, the messages sent to all statusbars via changeItem and message. That
> way you can see when a window on another desktop displays text in it's
> statusbar.

And how does one know who said what? Window caption displayed at the side?

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Not mad, but bound more than a madman is (Romeo and Juliet, Act I Scene II)