List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KSycoca database
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       2000-01-24 20:25:50

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Antonio Larrosa wrote:
> Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, Geert Jansen wrote:
> > > Hello (David?),
> > >
> > > a little question about the way KSycoca finds its database.
> > > Currently it uses saveLocation("config"). This has a problem with
> > > kdesu, because the target user will have a different save
> > > location, and will not find the database.
> > >
> > > Can I change this to findResource("config"), so that it searches
> > > $KDEDIRS too, in which kdesu can include $HOME/.kde.
> > > findResource() seaches the local kdedir first, so it should not
> > > matter in the normal case.
> >
> > Since today you can set $KDEHOME to /home/tagret-user/.kde
> > It will be used instead of $HOME/.kde.
>
> So, if root sets $KDEHOME to /opt/kde2 ( ... I mean, the first path
> in $KDEDIRS :) ), he changes the global/default values for all users,
> isn't it ?
> That would be nice.

$KDEHOME determines where the stuff gets saved. $KDEDIRS together with
$KDEHOME determines where the stuff gets searched. We always search
first in $KDEHOME.

E.g.
export KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde2
export KDEDIRS=/usr/local/kde:/opt/kde

Saves changes in $HOME/.kde2 and
searches first in $HOME/.kde2 then in /usr/local/kde and then in
/opt/kde.

Cheers,
Waldo