List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KIOSlaves
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-01-20 17:36:57

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> > Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > > Hi Stephan,
> > >
> > > What is the status of the IO-slaves in the make-it-cool-branch?
> > > What is working and what isn't? What needs to be done before it can
> > > be merged with the head branch?
> >
> > Well, what is lacking most is a developer friendly API for KIOJob.
>
> The API beteen KIOJob to the application or the API between KIOJob and
> the io-slave?
Between application and KIOJob, KIOjob should internally use KIOSlave to
handle it's own commuication to the slave.

> > The communication to the slave, the dlopening, etc are working so
> > far. But there is a lot to do and I got offerings by not less than
> > 5 persons to help me, but so far almost nothing happened ;(
>
> Is the file protocol supposed to be functioning? I tried to do a copy
> with this 'kioslavetest' thingy and it stalls at 0%.
That's because kioslavetest uses KIOJob!

If you look at kioslavetest.cpp, you'll find somewhere

    KIOSlave *s = KIOSlave::createSlave(KURL("file:/"), error,
error_text);
    if (s) s->listDir(src);

that's the only semi working code. semi because the slave has no signals
yet
to transfer it's data (as this depends on what KIOJob may need in
future).
But the data is arriving.

> > KIOJob would be done by David and me, it's just a mater of time.
> > But also all kioslaves besides kiofile need to be ported to the
> > new "no URLS, just paths" kind of communication.
>
> The way in which kio_file in the make-it-cool-branch communicates is
> how it is supposed to be? If so I will start on converting the http
> slave.
Look at kio_protocol and file/file.h.

> > The rest of the job handling shall be done within KIO(Job).
>
> What is currently working and what isn't?
Hmm, KIOJob is in the alpha phase of designing :)

> > What also needs to be done is some kind of reusing within kio_daemon.
>
> I'll have a look at that.
Well, I would consider this a optimization :)

Greetings, Stephan

--
It said Windows 95 or better, so in theory Linux should run it
                                                GeorgeH on /.