List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: aKtion! [was: Re: empath]
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-01-06 15:46:30

   Hi!

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 02:19:08PM -0500, pbrown@redhat.com wrote:

> > > Okay, I propose we import the updated aKtion! video player (now
> > > embeddable in Konqueror!) into kdemultimedia.
> > >

> > Agreed.  Does aKtion require a special library, is it an interface to this
> > library?  Should we include it also?  I am asking in case this library is not
> > present will kdemultimedia not compile?  Sounds like some work for configure
> > master ;-)
>
> I'm not really happy with the way that KDE multimedia is shaping up for
> KDE 2.0.  We discussed lots of advances at KDE II but none of them have
> really occurred.
>
> What's going on in this area?

   Hi!

Well, what we discussed at KDE II went post the KDE 2.0 release - if we offer
something nice for sound for KDE 2.0, we should be happy. Midi and whatever
else (video) can be integrated in one consistent concept in KDE 2.1, and, if
it takes that long KDE 3.0.

That is nothing that happens overnight.

aRts was glued together with CORBA before the KDE II meeting. And we choose
it to provide a consistent way of doing things. However CORBA is not any
longer wanted in KDE2.0, so I've spent the last time writing an "fast IPC layer"
(well it is close to CORBA from its capabilities), which is no resource hog
and has no broken language mapping. It works quite nice already.

However I am working on these issues alone, and if you try to remove
CORBA from aRts (which makes things easier and is probably a good-thing-
to-do), all those pieces of code fall apart, and you need to rebuild the
thing with the new "MCOP" glue.

There are of course people who work on various other multimedia projects,
like Martin Vogt "kmp3/yaf-lib", Christian Esken "knotify", Antonio
Larrossa "kmid", Greg Lee "kmidi" or Jan Wuerthner "Brahms".

I am all for including various "not clean but works" solutions to have some
multimedia in KDE2.0, especially in the areas video, midi etc., since the
only thing that we can hope to do more or less "right" until KDE2.0 is sound.

If anybody feels like helping with the middleware thingy, there is lots of
things to do.

I hope to come up with an primitive-but-works soundserver like esd implemented
using the new MCOP code in some time.

   Cu... Stefan