List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: aKtion! [was: Re: empath]
From:       Christian Esken <c.esken () cityweb ! de>
Date:       2000-01-05 22:00:03

On Mit, 05 Jan 2000 pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Robert Williams wrote:
>

> > Kurt Granroth wrote:

> > > Okay, I propose we import the updated aKtion! video player (now
> > > embeddable in Konqueror!) into kdemultimedia.
> > >

> > Agreed.  Does aKtion require a special library, is it an interface to this
> > library?  Should we include it also?  I am asking in case this library is not
> > present will kdemultimedia not compile?  Sounds like some work for configure
> > master ;-)
>
> I'm not really happy with the way that KDE multimedia is shaping up for
> KDE 2.0.  We discussed lots of advances at KDE II but none of them have
> really occurred.
>
> What's going on in this area?

It's simple. During KDE II we discussed stuff - ARTS was based on CORBA, and it
was no problem. After KDE II it was decided to use DCOP for just everything and
kick out CORBA completely.

So Stefan had to rewrite everything to a non-CORBA solution. This still is not
finished, as he was forced on KDE II to rewrite the scheduler, too. Lately he
had not so much time due to exams (IIRC).

I am doing the new media player in the meantime. And I am waiting for Matthias
to return, to tell me how kwin communicates. I need this for knotify.

  Christian

--
Is Unix ready for the desktop? See http://www.kde.org

The                              Christian Esken
|/  Desktop                      KDE Developer
|\  Environment                  esken@kde.org

KDE - The net transparent free Unix Desktop for everyone