List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: toolbars?
From:       Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-12-28 18:36:54

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote:
>Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:
>> What happened to the toolbars - they are MUCH to big now and look ugly!
>
>You are referring to the size of the toolbar buttons, I assume?
>
>I am responsible for changing their size.  There was a not-small
>thread on this list concerning this in the past few weeks so I'm not
>incredibly happy about repeating myself..  BUT here is the short
>version:

I didn't read a lot of KDE mails in the last 2 weeks or so, as I was too busy,
sorry.

>In the past (including now, actually), the toolbar icons where 22x22
>but had a transparent border of 2 to 4 pixels internally.  The toolbar
>buttons, then, assumed that the icon had this padding and didn't
>allocate any of it's own.  The final size of the button including
>borders, 3d effects, etc was 26x26
>
>This is and was wrong.  The toolbar buttons should never assume that
>the icons had the padding.
>
>After the artists team agreed that the toolbar icons needed to be
>redrawn anyway, I went ahead with the necessary code modifications.
>
>Now, the toolbar buttons put a border around icons of 3 pixels (or so)
>with a few more for borders, 3d effects and the like.  The total size
>is 30x30, now.
>
>This isn't set in stone, however!  When the new toolbar icons arrive,
>I'll be adjusting the size as needed.  They *will* be at least 28x28,
>though!
>
>If you're not talking about the size of the buttons, then I haven't a
>clue what you mean :-)

Yes, the toolbars are too big because of too big toolbar buttons. So we are
talking about the same. So, as I see there is a reason for the too big
buttons. I only hope it will not look as ugly as it does now when the new icons
are here. And I also don't a reason why we need to make the buttons so big
now without having the new icons. But, as I'm sure all that was already
discussed in the thread you mentioned, just ignore me :-)

--
Reggie