List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: toolbars?
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-28 18:21:03

Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:
> What happened to the toolbars - they are MUCH to big now and look ugly!

You are referring to the size of the toolbar buttons, I assume?

I am responsible for changing their size.  There was a not-small
thread on this list concerning this in the past few weeks so I'm not
incredibly happy about repeating myself..  BUT here is the short
version:

In the past (including now, actually), the toolbar icons where 22x22
but had a transparent border of 2 to 4 pixels internally.  The toolbar
buttons, then, assumed that the icon had this padding and didn't
allocate any of it's own.  The final size of the button including
borders, 3d effects, etc was 26x26

This is and was wrong.  The toolbar buttons should never assume that
the icons had the padding.

After the artists team agreed that the toolbar icons needed to be
redrawn anyway, I went ahead with the necessary code modifications.

Now, the toolbar buttons put a border around icons of 3 pixels (or so)
with a few more for borders, 3d effects and the like.  The total size
is 30x30, now.

This isn't set in stone, however!  When the new toolbar icons arrive,
I'll be adjusting the size as needed.  They *will* be at least 28x28,
though!

If you're not talking about the size of the buttons, then I haven't a
clue what you mean :-)
--
Kurt Granroth            | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix