List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: more on toolbars
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-21 2:08:15

Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> Hmmm! I'm not so happy about your description, it sounds to me a bit too
> arbitrary (why the main toolbar one would ask). But I must give credit,
> the way you depict it makes a lot of sense if one thinks  a lot at it.

I don't think it's arbitrary at all!  Say you have more then one
toolbar.. the amount of icons present would overwhelm the rest of the
app.  But those apps that have a judicious number of icons would fit
them on one main toolbar and it would look good with any of the modes.

This is another issue where if you actually try out apps that have
multiple toolbars, it makes a lot of sense :-)

> IMHO choosing toolbar styles should still be available to the user.
> If your idea goes in, it turns out that user will be unable to
> configure the style of some toolbars. Their style will be modifiable
> only programatically.

They will still be able to modify the "main" toolbar globally!

> What about implementing your vision but adding a default contextual
> menu to the toolbar class, that will make public (and GUI
> configurable) the "honor_style" flag on a per bar basis?

How about adding a sub-menu to the context menu that allows the user
to dynamically change the mode?  I favor this approach since that's
exactly what I have implemented on my hard-drive :-)
--
Kurt Granroth            | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix