List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: more on toolbars
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-12-21 0:55:13

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote:

> Currently, all toolbars have the same minimum size (40) if IconText is
> set to 3 (text under icons).  I brought this up before in the context
> that koffice apps look *very* strange if all toolbars have text under
> icons... but konqueror (and similar) also look strange.  Try it and
> you'll see what I mean.
>
> I propose that only the "main" toolbar honor the size or icon style
> request.  That is, if I have IconText=3, then my top toolbar (in
> KTMainWindow, that would be 'toolBar(0)') would have the icon under
> the text BUT all other toolbars would not by default.
>
> One way to do this is to introduce another parameter to the KToolBar
> constructor.  Something like 'bool honor_style' that is set to false
> by default.  The "main" toolbar of each app would set this to true.
>
> Does that sound reasonable?
>
> If I don't get any objections, that will be what I implement next.

Hmmm! I'm not so happy about your description, it sounds to me a bit too
arbitrary (why the main toolbar one would ask). But I must give credit,
the way you depict it makes a lot of sense if one thinks  a lot at it.

IMHO choosing toolbar styles should still be available to the user. If
your idea goes in, it turns out that user will be unable to configure the
style of some toolbars. Their style will be modifiable only
programatically.

What about implementing your vision but adding a default contextual menu
to the toolbar class, that will make public (and GUI configurable) the
"honor_style" flag on a per bar basis?

Cristian