List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    ESL benchmarks
From:       Mario Weilguni <mweilguni () sime ! com>
Date:       1999-12-20 18:05:47

I've done some basic testing with this ESL approach (if you don't have read
about it yet, there is a document at http://homepage.sime.com/esl.html ).

Status so far:
* completed reference implementation, based on a stable KDE 1.1.2

* number of lines changed in the KDE source code: 0

* added 2 new files, the wrapper and the executor, total of 1200 LOC

* applications prepared were kwm, kfm, kpanel, krootwm, kbgndwm, kwmsound,
kfind, kdehelp and kpager.

* Memory was measured after a system reboot and login for every test, memory
used is counted including all other system components (X, daemons...). Usage is
calculated as USED-BUFFER-CACHED. I hope this is accurate enough. The desktop
included kwm, kpanel, kfm, 3 x konsole, kbgndwm, krootwm and (a non-ESL) knotes
running.

* Memory without ESL is 37472 KB

* Memory with ESL is 31904

* startup time is a little bit better, but not too much. The problem here is
kpanel, traversing a lot of directories, and thus consuming a lot of disk I/O.
For standalone applications, ESL is faster.

So you can expect from a basic KDE 1.1.2 desktop a memory saving around 5 - 7
Megabytes, depending on amount of programs used and compiler settings. For a
128 MB System this is not too much, but for low-end system (32-64MB) this is
quite alot.

Problems:
* so far only kfm sometimes seems to have problems, I will have to check this.
All other programs work flawlessly.

Waldo is currently checking if the dynamic linker can be modified to use fixed
locations for libraries, where you can expect similar results, and this would
render ESL useless. If this is not possible, ESL might be an interesing
alternative.

Ciao,
	Mario

--
Gute Nachricht: Windows 98 ist kompatibel.
Die besten Experten suchen noch zu was eigentlich.