List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Toolbar suggestion (Was: Re: Ask Tog: UI design)
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-10 16:57:10

David Faure wrote:
> Interesting... Makes me think of the action concept once more. Those
> are ...  global actions.  KStdAccel _could_ (in the future) be
> replaced with a class giving away standard actions (but then again
> ... the action doesn't contain "do/don't plug me in a toolbar"...)

Yes!  I have code on my hard drive right now with KStdAction.  It has
actions corresponding to all entries in the style guide (actually, it
*will* have them all -- it's just in the prototype phase now).  I
integrated them into KTMainWindow so that the layout of the style
guide would be "forced".  That is, if you want a "Cut" action, you
merely do:

 enableAction(KStdAction::Cut);

and the internal code will create an Edit menu and put the Cut action
in the proper place with the proper shortcut and proper icon.  And, in
the case of "cut", will also plug it into the toolbar.  Not bad for
one line of code, eh? :-)

> Anyway. What we need first is toolbar customization, IMHO.  Still
> nobody to volunteer for that ?

I'll do that after KRASH!

> It may be as simple as writing out a modified .rc file in the ~/.kde
> but this assumes all apps will be ported to KAction one day, which I
> hope will happen...

Yes, I plan on doing this after KRASH (and, like I said, have some
code on my hard drive right now)
--
Kurt Granroth            | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix