List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Toolbar suggestion (Was: Re: Ask Tog: UI design)
From:       Mosfet <mosfet () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       1999-12-10 11:56:27

David Faure wrote:
...snip...

> Hmmm... so ?
> My wife uses the toolbar icons for copy/paste/... I guess because she's
> unsure
> about the keybindings for that.
>
> Once more we can't decide of everything for the user. The only answer is
> making it
> configurable, but it's true that for stuff that is common to all apps
> (open, save, quit, edit, copy, paste, del, ...) it would be great if this
> could be done
> as a global KDE setting, to avoid a heavy per-app work.
>
> Interesting... Makes me think of the action concept once more. Those are ...
> global actions.
> KStdAccel _could_ (in the future) be replaced with a class giving away
> standard actions
> (but then again ... the action doesn't contain "do/don't plug me in a
> toolbar"...)
>
> Anyway. What we need first is toolbar customization, IMHO.
> Still nobody to volunteer for that ?
>
> It may be as simple as writing out a modified .rc file in the ~/.kde
> but this assumes all apps will be ported to KAction one day, which
> I hope will happen...

This seems like a cool idea, and a standard set of actions would also
help enforce a standard toolbar for developers making simple
applications. Nonetheless I think for now it would be easier to just go
through the CVS and clean out unneeded buttons.

Then to do what I would like (primary toolbar large, secondary ones
small - selectable on a global basis) one would just have to do some
minor mods to KTMainWindow for the first toolbar returned. I am thinking
we can even make if to use a small or large primary toolbar an option in
kdewizard. I would also probably want to add a icon and text mode that
uses all the same size buttons.

Another feature that would be cool to add is making the mode selectable
on a per-toolbar basis on the toolbar handle popup and saving that in
the local config file, as well as if it is hidden or floating.

mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org
mosfet@jorsm.com